Monday, August 15, 2011

Weber County Fair 3.0

This is the third year that I've entered items in the fair.  Last Monday was the day to drop off items.  I went early and entered Oliver's baby quilt.  While I was there I was feeling sad that I wasn't entering anything else, and remembered that I had a mostly finished dress for Hazel that I hadn't worked on since November.  I went home, got the kids down for naps, and finished it in three hours.  Thanks, kids, for taking longs naps at the same time.  I love it when that happens.  I was able to take it in and get it entered half an hour before they closed up for the day.  I feel silly that I was that close to getting it done and never did anything about it for so long, and then got it done in one day, but I also feel good about crossing something off of my WIP list (works in progess). 

I took the kids Thursday morning while Kyle was at work, and didn't go near the exhibit hall, so I didn't get to see how my items did until we went back that night with Kyle.

Hazel loves seeing the animals.  She wanted to pet a cow.  That kind of scared me, because I didn't want her to get kicked.  Luckily we ran into some of my students, and one of them said she could pet his cow. 
 She LOVED petting all the bunnies.

 When we went back later I saw this from all the way across the exhibit hall--what a surprise! 
 I could see the big ribbon, but was shocked when we finally got closer to see that the award was the "Fabric Arts Sweepstakes." This little dress even beat that wedding dress you can see in the background. I guess the judges liked my seam finishes. I an really picky about my seam finishes. This isn't as fancy as the dress I entered last year, but is very similar. It has an underskirt with an attached ruffle, but doesn't have the ruffles down the back like last year's dress. 

And Oliver's quilt won Best in Show for the machine quilted baby quilts category!
 This makes three years in a row of winning best in show in one category.  It's pretty exciting and I've very pleased!  I think I'd like to be a judge some day in the future.

We went and looked at the animals a little more before we left, and sprung $5 for Hazel to have a pony ride.  It was a really long ride, and she LOVED it, so it was worth the money.  She kept saying "Yee-haw!"
Here's our little man: he's getting so big!
And here's a random spider that Kyle killed in our house last week.  I'm hoping Betsey can identify it for me.  I'm glad he killed it--I wouldn't want to see this thing alive.  Kyle said it was about the size of a quarter.  Yuck.

3 comments:

Kathey said...

I so enjoyed seeing this. Congratulations on doing so well at the fair. Loved seeing the pictures of the kids and hearing about Hazel's Yee Haw!

Betsey said...

That's the one spider that I know!

Dysdera crocata. It's a roly poly specialist, and completely harmless to humans.

Nanette said...

I actually went to the fair this year and I saw the cute stuff that you made. You are so talented. I especially love the dress... and yuck to the spider. The world would be better off without them.