Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Dress Forms!

My friend Liz is the drama teacher at my school. She is getting ready for the school musical in March, and needed some dress forms so she could do some major alterations on costumes for three girls. I had heard about making your own dress forms when I took a Fitting and Pattern Alteration class at BYU, so we decided to try it.


We had the girls come in wearing old t-shirts, we made duct tape mummies out of them, then cut the shirts up the back, re-taped the cut, and then Liz will stuff them in the next couple of days. It actually worked pretty well, and it was fun too! Helena made the picture identity-friendly for me because they are minors and I don't have parental consent or anything.
I think I might try it for myself sometime. We decided that using a long fitted t-shirt, such as those sold at Down East Basics, would have worked a little better because it wouldn't have been bunchy underneath. So if you've ever wanted a dress form of yourself, this is a pretty good way to do it! (Liz decided to stuff them with plastic grocery bags--we think this will work well.)

1 comment:

Kathey said...

Hi Barb,

Wow. That's pretty clever. You have learned some handy stuff along the way. And the girls look so happy. (^o^)

Love, Mom