Saturday we stopped at Wal-mart at the end of the day to pick up a few things, and I decided to get some bulbs before we left to plant in our park strip. While perusing the options, my neck itched. I scratched it. That is a normal reaction, isn't it? It itched more. I scratched more. I realized the itching was getting worse and spreading, and it got bad enough that I wanted to say, "Ahhh, what is going on?!?" But there was a lady in the aisle with me and I didn't want to look like a weirdie from "People of Wal-mart." So I quickly dumped my bulbs into my cart and went to find Kyle. He didn't believe how bad it was until he looked at me--my entire neck was flaming red. I took off for the bathroom to try to wash it off or something. I washed my hands first in case I had touched something, then tried to wipe myself down with a wet paper towel. It wasn't helping. It also doesn't help that the automatic faucets in their bathrooms only run for two seconds at a time. I was just about to freak out when a lady next to me asked what was going on, I explained I might be having an allergic reaction to something, and she suggested that I go find some children's Benadryl and drink some right there. I decided that was a good idea. I found some Benadryl anti-itch gel stuff pretty quickly and started slathering it all over while looking for the liquid. When I found it I opened it and downed the adult dosage. We went and checked out, including paying for the open Benadryl products, and went home. I made Kyle drive even though we were in my tiny car--I didn't think I should.
By the time we got home the itching had pretty much stopped and I wasn't red at all anymore.
I don't know exactly what happened. I've never had any reaction like that before. The only thing I know I'm allergic to is mangoes. I didn't eat anything unusual that day. The only thing I can think of is that I had picked up a kind of bulbs (alliums) that I have never touched before. Maybe that was it.
Maybe we should all just never touch anything at Wal-mart ever again.
Either way, I'm glad they carry Benadryl.
2 comments:
Yikes! (And ewww!) I wonder what it was.
Ohmigosh! How very scary. I'm so glad you were able to get the Benadryl. Perhaps the reaction was the allium bulbs. I'm glad you're OK.
Seriously, it might be good for you to carry some Benadryl capsules with you at all times. This time of year there seem to be more allergies anyway with all the extra pollens in the air. I remember that Jenny VanOrman used to carry some Benadryl with her in case of bee stings.
Post a Comment