Monday, September 13, 2010

The Dress

Here are finally some pictures!  Here is Hazel's dress at the Weber County fair, about a month ago.  They had it face up, but the back was the prettiest part.
Photo shoot!  Here's our cutie with some black-eyed susans.
Investigating a rudbeckia bloom on the stairs.
A close-up of the hair bow I made to match.  It's kind of a copy of a design I saw someone else do. 

Here's the back:
Relaxing in the grass:
Daddies are the greatest.

The dress is a mix of two different patterns.  I also added a ruffled underskirt that is designed to grow with her.  I haven't done this yet, but I am going to take a tuck in the underskirt to shorten it a few inches.  When she grows (next month?) I can let out the tuck and it will be longer again.  Because it is attached it will fade at the same rate as the rest of the dress and not look like an afterthought.  The length it is right now is too long for an almost two-year-old and it trips her, especially on stairs.  I'm also planning to take in the neck elastic just a bit, it is a little big on her. 

The dress and hair bow are both items I am considering selling on Etsy.  I'm planning to choose other fabrics to make them in. I'm a little torn because I love this fabric--but it is from Wal-mart.  I have a feeling a lot of Etsy shoppers wouldn't like that.  What do you think?

8 comments:

Helena said...

Ooh, so pretty! I love it.

Is that a Wal-mart exclusive fabric? Not available elsewhere?

CKW said...

That dress is adorable! If/when you Etsy it, count me in for one for Janie. Hazel looks so big! How has she grown so much since I last saw her?

The Dance Source said...

you make the cutest things Barbie! You are so talented! I'm jealous. Hazel looks so darling in that dress, and I love the hair bow!

Kathey said...

I love the dress and bow, and Hazel looks SO cute in them. The underskirt idea is really good. She'll be able to wear the dress for quite awhile. Is there a problem with fabric from Wal-mart?

Betsey said...

It looks a lot better than I thought it would from the way you were describing it to me. I thought it was going to look like a hot mess, but it's really pretty! :p So what does best in show mean? you go on to state?

Jennifer Morales said...

Your daughter looks so cute in that dress!! I you sold a dress I like that. I would love to it for Maria! Wal-mart has great fabrics I think.

Barbie Mills said...

Best in Show means that I got $25 as well as my pretty ribbon. I think that in Utah pretty much anyone can enter the state fair. I've had that impression anyway. The 4-H stuff is a little different though--I think the kids have to pass a certain mark at the county level.

Thanks for everyone's nice comments! I'm thinking about stocking up on this fabric for sure.

Brady and Karen said...

Do you have to advertise that it's Walmart fabric? Etsy sells the cutest stuff. Some people who buy their stuff consider themselves anti-Walmart, but that dress is so DANG CUTE! Hope it didn't take you 45 hours! ;)