Tuesday, September 7, 2010

On my mind...

So I'm back to school now, and have full internet access again.  I know there is a lot to catch up on, but now is not that time.  Maybe later.

I want an Etsy shop.  I've been sewing clothes since 2nd grade (although those early ones were hilariously terrible), and I have to admit, I do a really good job.  I love to take infinite pains to make the insides of seams look professional and finished, and I love to make things that are unique and beautiful.  I love to look at something and say "I could make that, only better," then go do it.  I've had several family members suggest that I sell things on Etsy over that last couple of years, and I always kind of brushed it off.  Now, I'm seriously considering it. (See edit at the end of this post.)

There are a few problems.  First: have you seen how many people have Etsy shops?  How would anyone find me?  Second: I need to figure out 2 or 3 basic, unique things that would be my very own designs to make and sell, then choose a few color schemes for my staple items.  I don't want to be another "Pillowcase Dress" person.  Those are super cute, but just about anyone could make one of those.  Third: the problem with taking infinite pains?  It takes a long time.  I still have a full-time job, not to mention that I start another one the instant I walk next door to pick up Hazel from daycare after school.  What if I got three orders for dresses all in one week?  Fourth:  I have a list of projects that I want to make for myself and for family members (still working on a quilt for my sister that I promised two years ago) and I don't know when it will happen.  And how do these people make sure they have all the right fabric in stock?  I just wonder how this all works.

So I don't know what lies in the future.  I don't ever plan on making a full-time job out of sewing.  At least not while I have kids at home, especially little ones not in school.  I'm not entirely sure why I want to do it, but I think it would give me a great excuse to do what I love and share my talent with others.  Can you even imagine what it would feel like to be at, say, Wal-mart or a wedding reception (can you get much different than those two locations?) and see a little girl wearing something beautiful that I created?  I doubt that happens much, even for the ladies that do lots of business, but it sounds immensely satisfying.  Even to imagine a little girl twirling around in the gym after church wearing something I made makes me smile.

I need to post pictures, but I recently entered a dress that I made for Hazel in this year's Weber County Fair, and it won best in show for the children's clothing category.  On the score sheet, the judge had commented, "Now that's what I call good workmanship."  Or something like that.  The comments I received meant even more than the big pink ruffly ribbon.  For those who have seen it, that is one design I think I would put in my shop. 

Maybe I'll just work on designs for now so I can launch after school is out in May.  I really think this will be my last year teaching, at least until my family grows up.

We recently discovered that we can connect to one of our neighbor's unsecured wireless internet connections, but it is quite unreliable and freezes all the time, so I still won't be posting from home for a while yet.  If any of you local people have an internet service provider you really like that doesn't cost much or require a phone line, we're looking!

*Edit*  I've been thinking about all kinds of things I could do, and spent some time looking at what others have done.  One thing I considered was blessing/christening gowns.  Well, there are some AMAZINGLY talented ladies there.  There is a seller called Embroidered Heirlooms--I think she actually does take infinite pains.  I've realized I only like to take infinite pains that aren't too inconvenient!

2 comments:

Helena said...

Ooh, lots of things to think about. It could work out really well.

I want to see the dress! :)

Kathey said...

I like your "infinite pains that aren't too inconvenient." It sounds really cool. Just make sure it's fun. :D